HOW LONG DO YOU NEED TO STAY OUT OF THE HOUSE AFTER A BUG BOMB?
Bug bombs or total release foggers are specially made to treat homes, offices, and other structures that are enclosed to remove pests like bed bugs, roaches, fleas, ticks, or carpenter ants Because it contains toxic chemicals, staying out of the house during the treatment is a must. Sometime after the treatment, staying outside is a requirement as well for health and safety reasons. The time you should stay out of the house depends on the product being used. For some products, it would already be safe to enter the house after a few hours; for some products, it would take as much as three days. In both cases, the user must read and follow the guidelines on the label so that the user can avoid fogger-related illnesses and discomfort.
Bug bombs have been the go-to pest control weapon for many homeowners from the Triad area. It is easy to procure and easy to use. However, homeowners will have to do it right to make it effective, which is why there are as many detractors as there are users of this product.
Bug Bombs: Are they effective?
Plenty of residents from the Triangle area think that total release foggers are an easy and quick fix for their pest infestation problems. Unfortunately, it is not what many people think; its effectiveness depends on how the users utilize it. It can wipe out a few pests, not all of them. Because of this, it is important to know when to use it and when to use other methods instead, like calling a professional pest control company specializing in killing bugs so you don’t have to. Companies like Go-Forth Pest Control.
Incorrectly using bug bombs can be outright disastrous. There are many reported cases of fires that ignite due to bug bomb misuse. It can also cause gastrointestinal and respiratory ailments, which can be deadly to children and the elderly. So if you plan on using bug bombs, read the label first.
Reading the label
A lot of people prefer doing things themselves, including pest control. If you are one of them that is just fine but be sure to read the direction. Read the directions before purchasing the product so you would know what to expect, like the amount of time you would have to stay out of the house. Most products require airing out periods, prolonging your stay outside.
On the other hand, if you prefer to use an exterminator, ask them for the specifics before they start with the treatment. That would be days ahead so that you would have time to prepare. They use chemicals that are much stronger than the ones you can buy in the market, so you may have to stay away for a longer period.
What are Bug Bombs and How do they Work?
Bug bombs or bug foggers are pest control products you use to get rid of pests like bed bugs, fleas, and ants at home. These are typically sold in aerosol cans. To use, press a button on an aerosol can to let out a mist of pesticides in a home or any enclosed areas. It works by spraying a mist into the air and falls on exposed surfaces and objects. Bug bombs should work by itself for some time while the mist is in the air. It sprays out all at once, resembling a bomb, thus the name. However, it does not reach hidden areas like cracks and crevices because it does not spray gas.
Bug bombs contain pyrethroid pesticides and also aerosol propellants. This creates a fog that fills the room. Using this means you will have to turn off all air conditioning, electric fans, and smoke detectors. Some brands even require you to unplug electrical appliances to avoid explosions, since aerosol foggers are highly flammable.
To use, place the bug bomber on top of a table or chair which has cardboard or layers of paper as covers. Place it at the center of the room. Never place it inside a cupboard or closet for it might explode. Close all windows and doors before the treatment and until the allotted time according to the label. After the treatment, aerating the area is necessary, so you would have to open the doors and windows for at least another hour before going back inside your house.
When Can You Go Back In?
It actually depends on many factors. One is the type of bug bomb you used. The other is the type of pests that you have. Some insects would take longer to treat. Regardless, you will be required to stay out of the closed-off area for at least two hours, and then another two hours or so to ventilate your house. Plan to stay outside for three to four hours. It takes time to kill the pests, and in order to do so, it requires a high concentration of these chemicals. Entering the area before the allotted time could be dangerous.
The chemicals used in bug bombs contain possible eye, skin, and respiratory irritants. It also contains substances that can cause illnesses.
Therefore, it is important for us to know how to use bug bombs safely.
Using bug bombs safely
Using bug bombs can cause many dangers. Follow these instructions so you can use them safely.
- Read the label and follow the instructions. Pesticide manufacturers are required to put everything you need to know about the product, and you are required to read them. Follow all the directions to the letter. Try to understand all the risks that come with the pesticide. Calculate the amount of pesticide you will use based on the size of the area to be treated.
- Use only the amount required. Do not use more; manufacturers have already made the calculations for you. Using more would be dangerous and would limit its effectiveness.
- Evacuate everyone, including your pets. Make sure that no one gets left behind. Keep them out as long as the label tells you.
- Once you return, open as many windows and doors as you can. This will aerate the treated area. Leave them open for about an hour before you can let anyone else inside.
- Wipe down all exposed surfaces, especially those that touch food. If you have pests, clean their food bowls thoroughly with soap and water, then wipe them down. Clean countertops and tables. Be sure to mop the floor, especially if you have toddlers. If you accidentally left food out uncovered during the treatment, throw it away. Same with exposed toothbrushes.
- Unplug anything that can spark. The chemicals used in bug bombs are highly flammable. A spark from an appliance or a gas flame can ignite the propellant easily. Unplug the refrigerator and air conditioner. Place the bug bombs about 6 feet away from any potential sources of a spark.
- Inform your neighbors that you would be having a bug bomb treatment, especially if you are living in a condo unit or apartment. Ask them to turn off any ignition sources. This may sound too inconvenient for them, but it sure beats them not being prepared.
Bug bombs may be effective at some point, but you certainly cannot rely on it alone. If that is the case, why use bug bombs at all? Especially now when we know it is not safe?
This is why experts agree that prevention should be the top priority. Here are some of the things you can do to prevent pest infestation.
- Practice good housekeeping. Sweep and mop the floors regularly. Vacuum carpets, sofas, couch, and other furniture.
- Cover your trash cans with a lid tightly. Then regularly dispose of your garbage properly.
- Fix leaky pipes and faucets.
- Place your food inside sealed plastic containers.
- Seal all cracks, crevices, and holes. These can be used as entry points for insects and rodents.
- Do not leave unwashed dishes overnight.
If you already have a pest infestation, you may consider calling the professionals. Performing bug bomb treatments by yourself poses so many risks, so you may want experienced pest control experts to do the dirty work for you.
To be sure, you should get the best pest control company in the Triangle area, Go-Forth Pest Control.
Go-Forth Pest Control is for you!
Bothered by a bunch of filthy roaches? Or bitten by an army of ants? Stressed out and anxious about the presence of bed bugs? Or are you fearful of the murderous intentions of the tiny mosquitoes? Take heart. Go-Forth Pest Control is here to protect you!
Go-Forth Pest Control understands that your home is your sanctuary. It is supposed to be your safe place after a hard day’s work. At home, all you want to do is relax, yet these pests would not allow you to. This is where we step in.
We are composed of a team of highly-skilled and well-trained professionals, so you are assured of top-shelf services whenever you call us.
For more information, go to go-forth.com.