12 INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT ANTS
For ant expert in North Carolina, ants found indoors can be quite some pests. They are quick to the draw; place a piece of cake on top of your table, and the ants will be there in no time. They are constantly looking for food. They can also cause structural damages to your homes. Most painful of all, they bite. They bite in the safety of your home. Yes, these days you cannot be safe anywhere in this world.
That does not mean ants are not interesting outside the fact that they are pests, though. In fact, ants can be found in books, movies, and poems. They can be pretty awesome.
Here are some interesting facts about ants:
- Ants can carry 10 to 50 times their own body weight! Consider this: if you were as strong as an ant, you can probably lift something as heavy as 2 tons. Now that is superhero feat!
- All over the world, there are 12,000 ant species. This ranges from the ants inside the homes to those found in the forests. While most of these are found in the forests, some make it to our homes.
- Ants can do more structural damage to your homes than the termites could. The carpenter ants are wood – destroying insects and are found across the United States. Carpenter ants tunnel through our homes, destroying it in the process. There are instances wherein they also attack electric power outlets, damaging them too.
- There are around 12,000 species of ants worldwide. Now that is a lot.
- Ants talk to each other using chemicals. Human beings are not the only ones who can communicate with their own species. Ants do too, and it is because of the chemicals known as pheromones. Through pheromones, ants are able to send messages, whether to warn others of danger or to inform the others that food is nearby.
- There are an estimated 10 quadrillion ants on this planet. Now that is a lot!
- Of all the insects, ants have the longest lifespan. Unlike bugs, who can live for only days, the queen ant of the species Pogonomyrmex Owyhee, can live up to 30 years.
- Ants do not have ears. They make use of their feet to feel vibrations, instead of listening.
- Some ants do not have eyes. The driver ants do not have eyes and use their antennae as a guide and to communicate.
- The soldier ants use their heads to block access to their nests. These entrances are made to be of the exact size of the ants’ heads and use their heads to plug into the hole. If an ant of the same colony arrives, it knocks on the guard’s head inform the guard of its arrival.
- Ants were already around since the time of the dinosaurs. They have been around for 130 million years already. Pieces of evidence were found in fossils found in lumps of ancient amber.
- Ants farmed lands way before humans did. Evidence was found that ants farmed as early as 70 million years ago.
To get rid of ants, call only the best pest exterminator in North Carolina, the Go-Forth Pest Control Company. They have effective methods and procedure in ant extermination and excellent customer service.