IS EXTERMINATOR SPRAY SAFE? (MATTHEWS EXTERMINATOR)
There will be times when we do not need pest exterminators, there are times when we do not.
We should all accept the fact that pests will always be a part of our lives. We should all just be vigilant so that they would not infest our homes.
So what do we do when they attack? Most often residents of Matthew, NC resort to spraying chemical pesticides that were bought from the store, with the hopes of getting rid of pests completely. What they do not know is that these pesticides can pose dangers to their kids and pets.
Children’s and pets’ exposure to chemicals is high more than adults since they are closer to the ground when they play which is also where the pesticides settle. They roll around the floor and the grass outdoors a lot, which increases their exposure.
Whether we are talking about children, pets, or adults, pesticides can have adverse effects.
If this is the case, then what can we do to protect ourselves from pests? If I have pests like, let us say, ants, what would be the best course of action. Should I call an ant control near me with great reviews, just to be sure? Go-Forth Pest Control, the leader in pest control in Matthews, NC, has some tips and tricks on how to best get rid of pests in your home.
What are Pesticides?
Pesticides are substances that are used to kill insects, animals, fungi, or plants that are considered pests. Pests are insects, animals, fungi, or plants that adversely affect human activities. There are lots of species of pests, and individually they could easily number into billions. Because of this, there are thousands of different kinds of pesticides in the market today. Pesticides are used in homes, restaurants, offices, warehouses, shops, and basically where there are humans. Humans are pest magnets.
Pesticides come in 3 forms: solids, which is in powder form; liquids, which look like liquid milk; and aerosols, which are sprayed out in mists.
Most of the pesticides in the market today are chemicals that are developed by scientists in a laboratory and manufactured in factories. A lot of them are hazardous to humans and other living things.
Pesticides can contaminate the air, land, food crops, and waterways. It can also kill beneficial insects and harm other animals that are helpful to the ecosystem.
Also, if the label is not read carefully, pesticides can lead to death to humans.
Pesticide poisoning happens in three ways, as outlined below.
Pesticides in powder, spray, and vapor forms can be breathed in through the nose and mouth.
The pesticide enters through the mouth by the food we eat and the water we drink. There is also a chance that when the pesticide gets to our hands, we might lick it or wipe our face with it, making it equally dangerous for us.
Pesticide can also be absorbed through the skin and eyes.
It is very important to read the labels first before using a particular pesticide. When people become careless in using it, accidental poisoning is possible.
Pests that are the intended targets of the pesticide spray are called the target pests. Animals, insects, and humans that are not intended to be killed by pesticides are generally called non-target animals.
What to remember when using pesticides?
- Always read the label. By law, pesticides must contain the product’s name, the poison’s schedule, and the name of the actual chemical that is inside the container.
- Never store pesticides inside water or food containers. Someone might think a pesticide inside a soda bottle is soda and drink it.
- Move your family and pets away from the spray area.
- Spray only in areas that need to be treated.
- Do not spray in windy conditions so that the pesticide would not drift to other areas.
Follow these safe practices to avoid pesticide poisoning.
Biodegradable and Non-biodegradable pesticides
Some pesticides remain in the environment for a long time. They do not break down easily. Pest control professionals have a valid reason to put them in there, and that is to protect an area from a certain type of pest for a long time. One example of this is when there is a need to treat termites. These pesticides are known as residual pesticides.
Residual pesticides can remain poisonous for years. When a pest control technician incorrectly applies a pesticide or used in the wrong place, it may spread to other areas and waterways.
People might also not be aware that they are under the soil and might dig them up. This might bring people and animals into contact with the poison.
These days, scientists are developing biodegradable pesticides. The purpose here is to have the pesticides break down into simple chemicals that would not cause harm.
Advantages of using pesticides
Despite all the dangers of using chemical pesticides, it has its advantages. These include:
- Easy to use, as long as the user is properly trained.
- They are effective in killing pests.
- You can get quick results.
Is it safe to stay at home when an exterminator sprays?
Pesticides are meant to target small pests by damaging their nervous system, causing them to lose bodily functions and eventually die of organ failure. Only small doses are required, but it can still be dangerous to humans.
Pesticides can be especially harmful to children, elderly, pregnant women, and people with pre-existing medical conditions.
Children and pets have higher exposure rates to pesticides compared to adults. This is because children and pets are closer to the areas that get sprayed each time they play.
People with asthma are at high risk during a pesticide spray. If you have asthma, chemicals may severely irritate your lungs.
Pregnant women who are in their first trimester are at high risk of getting negative side effects from pesticides because, at this time, the embryo is developing the nervous system which is vital to the fetus. She should, therefore, stay away from pesticides.
As for healthy adults, pesticides pose minor threats but should do well to take precautions.
Pest control without using chemicals
There are safer ways to control pests, albeit not as fast as using pesticides. It is all worth the effort though since these steps will ensure that your house is going to be clean and in order.
Here are some tips and tricks you can do to control pests.
- Mosquitoes love to breed in standing water. Remove old items that can hold water for a long time. Items like old cans, old tires, abandoned birdbaths, old gutters, and water containers can hold standing water.
- Place a screen on your windows and doors so that flying insects like flies, mosquitoes, and wasps would not be able to enter.
- Inspect around the house and check for holes, cracks, and crevices. If you find any, seal them by caulking. These are possible entry points by roaches, rats, ants, and mice.
- Put your food inside sealed plastic containers. This is to keep away pests like mice, rats, and cockroaches.
- Place a tight lid on your trash cans. Throw your garbage properly and regularly.
- Sweep and mop the floor, then vacuum carpets and furniture. Wipe off drink spills and food debris at once.
- Fix leaky pipes and faucets.
- When buying from the grocery, check food packs for weevils before buying them. In case you find weevils after buying the food pack, return it to the store and ask for a replacement. Make sure the store throws it away.
- When buying clothes or furniture from a garage store, make sure they are free from bed bugs by inspecting them.
- If you have a pet, pick up their poop and clean their food bowls regularly.
- Use diatomaceous earth and sprinkle it around the house. Diatomaceous earth is made from fossilized remains of diatoms. Each time creepy-crawly crawls on it, it inflicts tiny cuts on its body, causing them to dehydrate to death.
On the other hand, if you are already overwhelmed by pests like cockroaches, ants, flies, mosquitoes, weevils, bed bugs, poisonous spiders, or some other pests, be sure to contact the best and the safest pest control service in Matthews, NC. Be sure to call Go-Forth Pest Control.
Why Go-Forth Pest Control is the best pest infestation solution?
We know that you want to live a life free of pests, especially if you are in your own home. The home should be the safest place on earth for you, and we get that. This is what we are here for!
At Go-Forth Pest Control, you do not have to worry about your safety and the safety of your family because we use only family-friendly and pet-friendly methods. Our state of the art equipment is the best in the industry and handled only by the most qualified technicians.
For more information, call us now!