PEST CONTROL FOR RESTAURANTS
There will always be a time when we crave something and we do not feel like cooking on our own. The first thing we think of is to satisfy our cravings by eating out at our favorite restaurant. Or, call them to deliver the comfort food we want to get in our home. But what if you find out that your favorite go-to-place is infested by pests? Would you still be excited to call them and order food? Will you still go and book a romantic date with your loved one there? I bet not.
When putting up a business, there are many factors to consider. One of them is finding a good location. And when I say good location, I am not just referring to a good spot that is visible to potential customers, or a cozy one. It has to be clean and pest free too. Food-related pests such as cockroaches, ants, and flies are a threat to the success of your business. The presence of these creatures can damage your business’ reputation so it is a must to make sure your place is pest-free.
Why do Pests Live and Stay in Restaurants?
Food is one of the things that attract pests. In fact, food is one of the reasons why they invade places. Restaurants, cafes, groceries, and wet markets make the perfect place for pests to inhabit because they will see almost everything they need here – especially food and shelter. A pest infestation can be of huge concern for restaurants for a variety of reasons. These creatures are known to carry different kinds of disease-causing bacteria such as E-coli and Salmonella which can easily contaminate food, cooking utensils, and machinery through their saliva, urine, and droppings. Aside from these, pests can also cause property damage. An example is rodents. These creatures are small and may look harmless because some people even treat them as pets. However, rodents are indeed small but terrible. They can damage furniture, walls, boxes, cardboards, gas pipes, and electric wires. In fact, they can even burn your house down by burrowing and gnawing buildings fixtures and electrical equipment.
To better understand the importance of pest control in the food industry, let us see the most common types of pests we can find in restaurants and food establishments and what measures can be taken for effective pest control and prevention:
Common Pests in the Food Industry
If you are a business owner, especially if your business belongs to the food industry, pests are your worst nightmare. Here are some of the pests to avoid.
Cockroaches are the most common kind of crawling insect you can find in a restaurant. They are hard to get rid of because they hide in dark places such as crevices, drains, cracks, sewers, and other hidden spaces that provide the right temperature and humidity for them to survive. Good sanitation practices can prevent cockroach infestation. Always make sure to clean up food leftovers, crumbs, and drink spillage as these easily attract cockroaches. Additionally, store food in airtight containers and follow proper waste disposal.
The food scraps and leftovers that restaurants discard on a day to day basis are enticing to rodents. Rodents come to kitchen restaurants looking for food. Thus, it’s important to make sure that food is stored properly, the place is clean and wastes and garbage are disposed of properly. Make it a habit to declutter too. Rodents stay and survive in places where there is sufficient food, water, and shelter are available. Doing this will keep the temptation to a minimum.
Flies are annoying creatures who fly continuously where there is food. They breed in decaying garbage then move to fresh food, contaminating them by spreading disease-causing bacteria. They are carriers of over 100 harmful pathogens. Fly control is imperative in a food & beverage business. To prevent flies from coming, keep all doors and windows closed at all times. Food that is not being used should be kept in the refrigerator or in an airtight container.
Just like the other pests, ants come into restaurants to get food. If there is an ant infestation in your restaurant, there are a few practical steps you can take. Crumbs and sticky spills can bring a line of ants marching into your restaurant and before you know it, there are already many of them in your kitchen. You can also seal up their access points. Ants are very small creatures that can fit into small gaps. If there are no access points, it will be hard for them to get inside the restaurant to get food.
How Would You Know if there are Pests in your Restaurant?
In places where there is food available, it is important to be vigilant and look for pests signs. Identifying pests as early as possible will help you get rid of them without spending too much time, money, and effort. Though it’s best to contact a terminator or pest control technicians to check and identify an infestation, know that you can also check for some signs yourself.
- Droppings – Check your restaurant for any fecal droppings or urine trails. Pest feces vary in size depending on the kind creatures they are. Rats’ and mice’s wastes are the easiest to identify because unlike other pests’ feces, they are the most visible given its size.
- Physical damage to structures – Holes and gnaw marks are signs of rat and mice infestation. These creatures love to munch almost everything. You can also check for damaged woods. This is a major indicator of a termite infestation.
- Nests – Pests make different kinds of nests. Shredded materials like paper, cotton, wood, newspapers, and cotton are other signs that pests are nesting in your establishment. These homes are created by rodents. You may also look for small piles of dirt or soil, these are caused by ants.
The Importance of Pest Control for Restaurants
As a restaurant owner, you must take your business very seriously if you want to succeed. Having any pests inside your restaurant is a big no. Keep in mind, a single pest can have a huge effect on your business. This could mean an expensive lawsuit or closure of your business. So let’s not wait for that to happen.
Pest control is crucial in the food industry business. It serves as your restaurant or cafe’s protection from harmful creatures that can cause public health issues and expensive damages to property. Here are some benefits of availing pest control service:
- Productive staff or crew – Pest infestation can affect the productivity of the people working for you. With all the cockroaches, ants, flies, and rodents roaming around the kitchen, they won’t be able to focus on their job which could result in consumer or customer dissatisfaction. Having a pest-free environment will make them more comfortable and productive.
- Good reputation and more customers – A restaurant that experience pest infestation can ruin your reputation in an instant. In the food industry business, customers don’t just look at the price and taste of the food we serve. It’s also important to them that the food is clean. After all, who would’ve wanted to eat dirty food?
- Protected property – Some pests caused serious property damage. Pests like termites and rodents can damage structures but a regular pest control inspection and treatment will certainly help protect your property.
- Makes your life worry-free – Pest infestation is a real headache. Whether the infestation took place in your home or in your restaurant, you’d want the same thing for sure – to completely get rid of them. If there are pests in your place, you wouldn’t be able to focus on important things because you’d always think that these creatures would come out anytime while customers are enjoying their food. Regular pest control will give you the peace of mind you deserve. This means that you’ll be able to focus more on customer service and satisfaction than spending time worrying about these itty bitty creatures.
Contact Go-Forth Pest Control!
For the best pest control service for your home or business, choose a company that is worth every penny – Go-forth Pest control. Go-Forth Pest Control is a trusted company and is known for its outstanding service over the years. It is a family-owned commercial business solutions provider of current pest management services and systems, utilizing the latest and most upgraded technology in the industry, carrying out our service to you in a more efficient, safer, and more convenient manner. We have a unit of expert pros who can give the finest pest management services to residents and business enterprises throughout North and South Carolina.
We bring in a different and fresh approach to the pest control industry, employing family-friendly and pet-friendly methods of extermination that cater to your demands. Our professional background in exterminating pests can make you say goodbye to these pests in your home. You may check us on Facebook or Google us to see what our satisfied clients have to say about us.
For further information, or to set a consultation, just dial 336-841-6111. Our friendly operators are standing by.