PEST CONTROL NEAR ME FOR BED BUGS
(CHAPEL HILL EXTERMINATORS)
Have you ever tried waking up in a hotel room with a couple of bite marks on your neck? Better yet, have you tried sitting in a movie theatre for two hours and seeing marks on your leg? Those bites are caused by bedbugs.
These are small, oval-shaped, and brownish insects that feed on the blood of animals and humans. You can distinguish adult bed bugs because of their flat bodies which are about the size of an apple seed. After they feed, their bodies start to swell and become reddish in color.
Despite the myths, bed bugs do not have the ability to fly. However, they can move quickly on floors, walls, ceilings, mattresses, and carpets. The female bed bugs are known to lay hundreds of eggs in her lifetime. Each looks like a speck of dust.
There are also immature bed bugs called nymphs. According to entomologists, at this stage, bed bugs shed their skin five times. And before they reach maturity, they will need a full blood meal after every shed.
If bed bugs live in favorable conditions, nymphs turn into adults as soon as a month and generate more bedbugs to infest the environment. Luckily, they do not transmit any diseases to humans. It’s just the skin allergies and infections from the bite if not treated appropriately.
Where can I find Bed Bugs?
Bed Bugs enter our houses through the things we bring inside. It could be through luggage, used beds, used furniture, second-hand appliances, and other items. Their bodies allow them to fit in the tiniest places and compartments. Their bodies have almost the same width as a credit card.
Unlike bees and ants, these creatures do not have a nest. However, they love hiding in secluded places where humans cannot reach them. Usually, bed bugs hide in your mattress, box springs, headboards, bed frames, and picture frames. They will hide in places where they can easily roam and feed on human beings at night.
Over time, bed bugs start to scatter to other parts of the house such as the living room and dining table where people lounge. People think that untidy houses are the main targets of bedbugs. However, it is not about that. Wherever there is blood, bed bugs infest. Although untidy households make it a lot easier for them to hide, this is not the main reason they infest.
What Happens When They Feed?
Bedbugs are more active at night and bite people while they are asleep. They withdraw blood from the skin through their elongated beak. Bed Bugs feed for 3 to 10 minutes before they engorge. Then, they crawl away unnoticed when they are full.
Bedbug bites are not painful. It is the welts that are itchy. The bite marks are caused by the anesthetic substance they inject to the skin before they feed. You can often see these marks on the ankles, neck, back, and sometimes the arms. They prefer the exposed areas of the skin.
Signs of Bed Bug Infestation
It is best to keep a close watch on the signs of a bed bug infestation before it gets worse. Here are the common signs:
- Bloodstains on the mattress, pillowcase, and bedding. You can also see bloodstains on your clothes in the morning.
- Bed Bug excrement. You can see these as dark and rusty on your mattress, pillowcases, even your walls.
- Bed Bug egg shells, or shed skins.
- The musty odor from bed bugs.
How to Treat a Bed Bug Infestation:
If you suspect a bed bug infestation, here are the different ways to treat it:
- Clean your bedding, clothing, linens, and curtains in hot water. Dry them using the highest setting on your machine. Do the same for stuffed animals, shoes, and mats. Run the dryer for about 30 minutes. This will ensure no egg, nymph, or adult survive the wash before you put them in the cabinet or back on the bed.
- The use of a stiff brush is a cost-effective way to remove bedbugs and the eggs before vacuuming.
- It pays off to invest in a vacuum cleaner. Use it regularly and frequently. After you vacuum, remember to remove all the contents of the vacuum bag and throw it in the garbage bins outdoors. Better yet, burn the contents of the vacuum bag.
- Another great tip to control bed bugs is to encase mattresses and box springs with a zippered cover. Since bed bugs can live for a year without feeding, leave the mattress enclosed in that duration. This will make sure that they can no longer survive.
- It is important to repair cracks on your walls, floors, and frames to get rid of common bed bug hiding spots.
- Bed bugs love clutter. It makes it easier for them to hide. To keep their population at bay, it’s best if you clean up the clutter and organize your things.
Look for evidence of bed bugs.
Do this frequently and efficiently. You may have missed a couple of bed bugs, eggs, and shed skin. So, it pays off to be a frequent and keen observer. This will determine which methods to use for elimination.
Regularly check your bedding, mattresses, carpets, and cushions, and furniture for more than 7 days. In this way, you can see any eggs, larvae, nymphs, and adults. If you see which areas are infested, you will know which areas to target more.
What Kills Bed Bugs?
Before we get to that, make sure that whatever you use to kill bed bugs that it is safe and legal. Remember, the treatment will most likely take place in your room. So, you do not want any residue harming you or the rest of the family.
Before you settle for chemical methods, try using Integrated Pest Management (IPM) first. This is an approach to lessen the use of pesticides. This ensures a safer way to get rid of pests especially in residential areas. Some of the non-chemical methods to use are as follows:
Bed bugs are not only sensitive to extreme heat. They are sensitive to cold treatment as well. This is the primary reason why they are called winter pests. They cannot outlive the extreme cold outdoors. Hence, they need to be in a warm home.
If you suspect an item to be infested with bedbugs, put it into a sealed bag and store it in your freezer for at least 4 days. Make sure that the freezer is at 0 degrees to become effective.
You can also use steam cleaners to kill bed bugs in cracks, and other fabrics that cannot be inside the hot dryer. Make sure that the temperature of the steam cleaner is at least 130o F. Also, make sure that it does not have a forceful airflow or the bed bugs will scatter even more. Use a diffuser for a more effective method.
This powder is made of diatoms, a type of algae. If you sprinkle a generous amount of it and spread it thinly over bug-infested areas, it will kill these pests instantly. It works by destroying their exoskeletons, dehydrating them from the outside.
Make sure to get the food-grade Diatomaceous Earth to avoid inflicting harm on yourself and your family.
How to Prevent Bed Bugs
- Don’t take mattresses and other padded furniture that was left on the street. Maybe there is a reason the owners dumped it that way. There might be issues with those things. One of which could be bed bugs. In another light, bed bugs from the streets could have latched on to the mattress for heat. So, be sure never to take anything inside your home unless it has been checked or cleaned.
- Whenever you travel, make sure to keep your suitcases covered in plastic. Keep it off the floor when you travel. This is one of the reasons that homes get infested with bed bugs. If you can, bring a flashlight to look for any signs of bed bugs during and after you travel.
- Every time you return from a long trip, wash your clothes and shoe, even those you have not worn. You’ll never know what pests and bacteria latched onto those garments. Just to be safe from pests and diseases wash it before you put it back in your room.
Bed bugs are common everywhere. If you do not have the time to eliminate them yourself, call for a bed bug professional near you. In doing so, make sure that the company is highly recommended and fully licensed to operate.
Got bed bugs? We have the best pest control service that will take your problems away.
Go-Forth Pest Control offers a holistic package to exterminate all existing pests using safe and updated methods of extermination. If you are in North Carolina and you’re looking at Chapel Hill Exterminators, this is the best company for you.
Go-Forth Pest Control has been providing high-quality service for bedbug extermination and prevention. With the help of their professionals, you can finally have the pest-free life you deserve.
If you want to invest on something, bank on the safety of your home and family. If you want your way out from the pesky fleas you have been worried about, contact Go-Forth Pest Control.