WEEVIL PROBLEMS? NO PROBLEM
Weevils are part of the beetle family. They are 6 mm in size and have long, pointed snouts that are used for boring holes on grains, pasta, timber, flour, and cereal. They are dark in color, with their mouths at the end of their snouts. Weevils have been brought here in the United States in seeds carried by settlers through the ports. They are not native to North America.
Weevil as pests
They are pests because they are known to damage and kill crops. They attack crops like grain, corn, and cotton. They are a big source of headache to the farmers, as it affects them economically. At home, they inhabit dry foods like grain, nuts, pasta, rice, and cereals.
They are also a nuisance for homeowners. Once weevils attack our homes, they usually do so in great numbers. They manage to enter homes whenever they find small openings. Weevils, though, are not just confined to our food, Homeowners can also often find them on the walls and the windowsills.
Here are some of the steps the steps to get rid of those pesky weevils:
- Once you spot weevils at home, dispose of the food products that are contaminated. These are already damaged anyway. This will prevent them from spreading even further.
- After removing these contaminated products, thoroughly vacuum the areas you deem were infested by the weevils.
- If you find the weevils in newly bought food products, return them to the store immediately. Make sure it will be destroyed. The weevils should decrease in numbers once you are able to locate the contaminated foods.
- Store food in airtight containers. Doing this should totally cut off their food supplies.
- Seal off all cracks an opening in your house, as weevils can make this their entry points.
- Weevils like to hide in dark and damp places. Put a damp cloth in dark places within your house and wait till you catch weevils. Once you find enough weevils on the cloth, put the cloth in water to wash them away. Keep doing this while you can still catch them.
- You may also try some natural methods, like using neem oil or bay leaves. Neem oils should be sprayed on places you often see weevils. The bay leaves, on the other hand, are natural repellents. You may put them in your rice or cereal containers.
If, after your best efforts, none of these work, then it is time to call Go-Forth Pest Control Company in Mocksville, NC. They have a team of highly trained professionals who can get the job done.
Go-Forth has been around for 59 years now. The company has a special team of technicians who can evaluate your homes or offices on what type of service that is just right for you. They use the only state-of-the-art equipment and a family friendly and pet-friendly method of exterminating pests.
To schedule an appointment, just dial (336) 841-6111. Our friendly operators are standing by.