Unfortunately, bee stings will happen to best of us and they can potentially cause some serious allergic reactions, if not treated properly. There are more than 200,000 thousand cases of bee stings per year nearly every age group if affected by these pests. Some common symptoms may include swelling, rash or redness, itchiness, and pain. In more severe cases you see skin reactions such as hives and flushed skin, dizziness and swelling of the throat and tongue. The less severe symptoms can often be treated at home using home remedies, the more severe cases will be needed to be treated by a doctor. Here are some home remedies to treat regular bee stings and also the steps to take if you feel yourself beginning to develop a serious allergic reaction.
- Baking soda- First, create a thick paste with baking soda and water. Then apply it on the bee stings and cover with a bandage. Leave on for about 15 minutes or and repeat if needed. This method will help reduce the swelling, pain, and itching.
- Honey- This remedy is very similar to the baking soda treatment, apply honey directly to the bee sting and cover with a bandage. You can leave this one on for about an hour and also repeat if necessary.
- Toothpaste- This treatment is an easy and quick treatment to do. Simply place a very small amount on the bee sting and leave on for a desired amount of time.
- Meat tenderizer-Create a concoction of four parts water and one part meat tenderizer, on the bee sting for as long as 30 minutes.
- Ice or hot compress- Apply ice or hot compress to the sting for approximately 20 minutes and repeats as many times as necessary. This will significantly reduce the pain and swelling.
- Garlic and coconut oil- Heat up one teaspoon of coconut oil over low heat and then crush 1 or 2 garlic cloves into the pan. Allow the mixture to cool down and then apply directly to the bee sting. Then let the liquid absorb into the skin and whipe off with a clean towel. You can repeat this method 3-4 times a day or however long that is necessary.
Treatment Steps and Allergic Reactions:
- Check to see if the stinger is still present at the bite. You may do this by looking for a small, black dot near the center of the bite site. If it happens to be present, remove with a hard tool, or a credit card. Do not use tweezers to remove the bee sting because break the bee’s stinger and it will stay in the bite area.
- Once the bite is clear of the stinger an ice or cold pack to reduce pain and swelling.
- When swelling and pain has gone down, clean thoroughly with soap and water. After the area is clean, you can do some of the home remedies that is listed above. Take an oral medication such as Benadryl to reduce the swelling and ichiness.
- Contact a medical professional immediately if you had any severe allergic reactions in the past or are experiencing any vomiting, extreme swelling of the throat, hives or dizziness.
- If you aquire more than a dozen bee stings, even you are not allergic, there can be some serious reactions. A few of these symtoms include, headache, fever, dizziness, fainting, nausea and vomiting.
Bee Sting Prevention:
- Cover food and trash cans so no bees will be attracted to your living space.
- Hire a professional to remove the hives and nests from your home.
- Wear closed toed shoes and loose clothing to prevent any bees coming in contact with your skin.
- Avoid swatting at bees when they are flying around you in open spaces, this will only make them more irritated.
- Be sure to not wear any bright colored clothing, becasue this will also attract the bees.
- If you do happen to get stung, cover your nose and mouth immediately and seek cover in a building or car. Bee’s let off a chemical when it stings which attracts other bee’s to the area.
When to Seek a Doctor or Emergency Care
Many individuals have no idea they have an allergy to bee’s stings until they have been stung and there are some cases that been stings can become very serious without any allergy. If your bites don’t seem to be healing, you have been swarmed by bees, weak pulse, paleness of the skin, and sweaty skin seek medical attention at once. The symtoms will only get worse and put you at risk of some serious health issues.